Are you new to the intriguing sport of fencing or have you been practicing for a while and looking to upgrade your equipment? In any case, you've come to the right place! Welcome to Anchorage Fencing Club's guide to the best fencing equipment for all skill levels. In this article, we will take a deep dive into the different elements of fencing gear and recommend top choices to help you excel in the sport.
Choosing the Fencing Weapon
A popular choice for beginners, the foil is a light and flexible weapon with a small rectangular cross-section. The target area in foil fencing consists of the torso, neck, and groin. Recommended starter foils include:
- Absolute Fencing AF Advanced Gold Foil: Known for its durability and excellent balance.
- Blue Gauntlet BG Foil: Affordable and ideal for beginners, it is sturdy and easy to handle.
Slightly heavier than the foil, the epee has a broader, V-shaped blade and a larger bell guard. The entire body is considered the target area in epee fencing. Some top epees for beginners and intermediate fencers are:
- VNiti Epee: Offers a unique blend of flexibility and durability, perfect for all levels of experience.
- Leon Paul Fusion Epee: Combines precision technology and a revolutionary design for optimal performance.
The sabre is a slashing weapon with a flat, T-shaped blade. The target area in sabre fencing includes everything from the waist up, excluding the hands. The top picks for sabres are:
- Absolute Fencing AF Elite Sabre: Boasts a lightweight design and excellent balance, making it perfect for fast attacks.
- Blue Gauntlet BG FIE Sabre: Offers a robust construction and ergonomic design for enhanced performance.
Selecting the Right Protective Gear
Safety is a priority in fencing, so it's essential to invest in high-quality protective gear. The following are crucial components of your fencing kit:
- Helmet: Choose a helmet that meets safety standards, fits comfortably, and provides clear vision. Some top choices include Leon Paul's X-Change mask and the Absolute Fencing AF 350N Helmet.
- Jacket, Knickers, and Plastron: Look for uniforms made from strong, breathable materials that offer sufficient protection. Uhlmann's FIE-approved jackets and knickers or Absolute Fencing's 800N gear provide excellent comfort and protection.
- Gloves: Ensure they fit snugly and provide good grip on your weapon. Leon Paul's "Gryphon" gloves and Absolute Fencing's AF Electric saber gloves are excellent options.
Choosing Fencing Shoes
Good fencing shoes should offer support, traction, and shock absorption. Some popular fencing shoe brands include:
- Adidas: Known for their "D'Artagnan" and "En Garde" series, Adidas fencing shoes provide excellent grip and support.
- Nike: The Nike "Air Zoom Fencer" features a flexible sole, lightweight design, and enhanced traction for fencing-specific movements.
- Hi-Tec: The "Scimitar" model is affordable and has a non-marking sole for excellent traction on the piste.
Best Fencing Sport Example:
Let's say you are a beginner who is interested in starting with foil fencing. Your starter kit should consist of the following equipment:
- Absolute Fencing AF Advanced Gold Foil or Blue Gauntlet BG Foil
- Leon Paul X-Change mask or Absolute Fencing AF 350N Helmet
- Uhlmann FIE-approved Jacket and Knickers, or Absolute Fencing 800N gear
- Leon Paul "Gryphon" gloves or Absolute Fencing Glove
- Adidas "D'Artagnan" fencing shoes, Nike "Air Zoom Fencer", or Hi-Tec "Scimitar"
Hopefully, this guide aids you in finding the perfect equipment to meet your fencing needs. As you grow in the sport, you might need to upgrade or customize your gear to suit your style. Feel free to explore other guides on Anchorage Fencing Club for more tips and advice. If you enjoyed this article and found it helpful, please share it with your fellow fencers and those looking to start their fencing journey! Happy fencing!